THE CONSTITUTION OF THE YOUTHS ASSOCIATION OF BASSE
As youths conscious of our talents, deemed it worthwhile to come together under the name of the Youths Association of Basse and work towards the fostering and cultivation of unity and solidarity among youths, train and improve youths skills and create a frame work that would gear towards the development of Basse and the country at large.
1b. THE MISSION AND THE VISION STATEMENT
Since nobody begins something with nothing, we are seizing this opportunity to begin something with something. Our mission statement is to develop the full potential of young people by creating opportunities for their positive participation in national development.
To advocate for total development of the body, mind and spirit in order to be positive agents of change irrespective of faith, age, sex, race and social condition.
1c: VISION STATEMENT
Create a positive change in the lives of Basse youths in other to be useful and productive in the development of the town and the country at large.
Article 2a: NAME AND DEFINITION OF THE ASSOCIATION
The name of the association shall be called YOUTHS ASSOCIATION OF BASSE
Article 2b: YOUTH
Any person between the ages of fifteen to fifty-five (15-55) years is legible to membership.
Article 2c: ASSOCIATION
Mobilize youths for the attainment of the stipulated aims and objectives.
Article 3: REGISTRATION
(1) Every youth member shall pay a compulsory registration fee of ten dalasis (10 D).
(2) Registered member shall/will be allocated a member ship card
Article 3a: MEMBERSIHIP
Membership shall/will be open to all youths irrespective of race, religion, nationality, ethnicity or sex and further in between the ages of fifteen-fifty five(15-55) years. The individual therein becomes a full member after he/she has been registered and issued a membership card.
Article 3b: MEMBERSHIP RIGHTS
1. All members have the right to vote and be voted for.
2. Members have the right to express their views during a meeting.
3. All members are entitled to one (1) vote.
4. Every member shall/will be allocated a membership card.
5. All members are equal before the association.
6. Every member shall pay a registration fee of ten (10) dalasis.
7. Every member shall pay a monthly subscription of five (5) dalasis.
Article 3c: TERMINATION.
(1) Members who do not respect and uphold the rules and regulations of the association shall/will be liable to loosing his/her membership
(2) Members who are found of serious misconduct, such as stealing, prejudicing and others which the association is complete against, shall/will lose his/her membership.
(3) Where members are involve on to fighting, insulting, or using abusive words/language shall/will be warned and if repeated shall/will be suspended or expelled.
(4) Members who are suspended or expelled shall/will not be involve in any activity/activities of the association until his/her membership is renewed and accepted.
Article 4: AIMS AND OBJECTIVES.
1. To promote and maintain mutual understanding among youths.
2. To facilitate the acquisition of knowledge and skills in these respects: physically, morally and socially
3. To serve as the vocal point for all the youths of the Basse town.
4. To empower youths in all works of life and enable them to contribute and participate effectively to national development.
5. To link/affiliate with other youths organizations whose principle are the same/similar with the Basse youths Association nationally or internationally.
6. To carry out cleaning exercises/”SET SETALS” in town with the desire for a healthy people and environment in consultation with the town development committee, the Regional Health Team, National Environment Agency, Basse Area Council and other youth groups.
7. To promote agriculture and food preservation through works, youths activities and participation.
8. To organize youth forums, study tours an excursion trips nationally and internationally for friend ship and exchange of ideas among youths.
9. Support and mainstream the differently able in youth development through differently able organization.
10. To promote and uphold the rights of children women and girls through collaboration with other organization for effectiveness and efficiency.
11. To organize and participate on sensitization campaigns against HIV/Aids, Sexually Transmitted Diseases (S.T.Ds), drugs and alcohol.
12. To uphold, respect and promote culture among youths nationally and internationally.
Article 5 RULES AND REGULATIONS
1. All members shall fully adhere to the documented rules and regulation.
2. A degree of respect must be given to all people.
3. Any member found using abusive language during a meeting, shall be sent out of it and is liable to a fine of fifteen (15) Dalasis
4. All fines are fifteen (15) dalasis.
5. Every member is urged to attain meetings punctually and regularly. Failure to attain three(3) consecutive meetings with out a genuine reason shall/will pay a fine of fifteen (15) dalasis.
6. If anyone fails to pay a registration fee of ten (10) dalasis, he/she shall not be a full member and will not hold any responsibility within the Association.
7. Failure of a member or executive member/members executing their duties properly would result to replacement of that individual/individuals within the executive by the general body.
8. Anyone found to be undermining the activities of the association shall be legally dealt with.
9. Registration fee of ten (10) dalasis must be paid to the treasurer to confirm membership.
10. In the event that a member of the executive is transferred to another city, town or village, the executive shall select somebody to act in that person’s position until a general meeting is convened.
11. All members have equal rights and everyone is entitled to one vote.
12. Legal action shall be taken against anyone found misusing/misappropriating the association funds or properties.
Article 6: STRUCTURE OF THE ASSOCIATION
Article 6a: THE EXECUTIVE BODY.
The executive body is the second largest body found in the association and shall function as an administrative body. It shall formulate ways and means to solidify the association and create strategies that would gear toward the development of the youths and the town as a whole. Two third shall be the quorum of the Executive body.
Article 6b: COMPOSITION OF THE EXECUTIVE BODY
The executive body shall be composed of the following:(1) Two (2)chair persons A and B.(2) Two (2) secretaries C and D (3) Two Treasurers E and F (4) Two Auditors G and H (5)Social Secretary I (5)Public Relation Officer(PRO) J and (6)Area Representatives K.
Article 6c: FUNCTIONS OF THE MEMBERS OF THE EXECUTIVES BODY
Article 6c of (A) THE CHAIR PERSON:
(1)He/she is the head of the Executive body and shall be responsible for coordinating the activities of the association.
(2) He/she shall be presiding over the meetings of the association.
(3) The chair person shall also represent the association at ceremonials occasions.
(4) In the case of dead lock, the chairperson’s decision becomes final.
(5) The chair person has the prerogative to sermon meetings in consultation with the Executive when deemed necessary
Article 6c of (B) THE VICE CHAIR PERSON
(1)He/she is the assistant and shall assist and work hand in hand with the chair person'
(2) He/she further acts in the absent of the chair person.
(3) The vice chair person takes any other responsibility delegated to him/her by the chair person and or the Executive body.
Article 6c of (C) THE SECERETARY
1. He/she shall be responsible for keeping all records and documents of the association.
2. All correspondence should be written by the Secretary.
3. He/she is responsible for drafting, typing and correspondent of all incoming and out going letters of the Association.
4. He/she shall remind members of upcoming programs or activities of the association in consultation with the PRO and area representatives.
5. He/she in consultation with the chairperson shall prepare the agenda for the next meeting.
Article 6c of (D) THE VICE SECRETARY
1. He/she is the assistant and shall work hand in hand with the secretary.
2. He/she shall act in the absent of the secretary.
3. The vice secretary takes any other duties or responsibilities delegated to him/her by the Secretary and or the Executive board.
Article 6c of (E) THE TREASURER
1. The treasurer shall be responsible for all the financial transaction of the association.
2. He/she shall be responsible for preparing monthly, quarterly and yearly estimates and budgets of the financial statement of the accounts of the association
3. The treasurer shall be part of the signatory to the accounts of the association.
Article 6c of (F) THE ASSISTANT TREASURER
1. He/she is the assistant to the treasurer.
2. He/she shall assist and work hand in hand with the treasurer.
3. He /she will/shall take any other duties/responsibilities as may be assigned to him/her by the treasurer and or the Executive body.
4. The assistant treasurer shall act in the absent of the treasurer.
Article 6c of (G) THE INTERNAL AUDITOR
1. The auditor shall be responsible for auditing the books and the accounts of the association.
2. He/she shall liaise with the treasurer in preparing the financial statement, reports and account for the association.
3. He/she shall do any other auditing duties as may be assigned to him/her by the chairperson and or the Executive body.
Article 6c of (H) THE EXTERNAL AUDITOR
1. The External auditor shall be independent and shall be identified by the Executive body.
2. He/she shall be responsible for auditing the accounts of the association and give report.
3. He/she shall/will do any other auditing duties as may be assigned to him/her by the chair person and or the Executive body.
Article 6c of (I) THE SOCIAL SECRETARY
1. He/she shall be responsible for all the social activities of the association.
2. The social secretary shall organize fun raising programs all geared towards creating income for the association.
3. He/she shall work with the treasurer in safe guarding the profit realized after such an organized program/programs.
4. The social secretary shall be responsible for upholding and promoting our culture nationally and internationally among youth members, N.G.Os and other affiliated bodies.
5. He/she shall work with the support of the PRO and area representatives in creating, planning and social interaction among youth members.
Article 6c of (J) THE PUBLIC RELATION OFFICER (PRO)
1. He is the link between the association and the public.
2.He/she shall advice the chair person and the Executive body on issues of concern to the public and shall initiate and execute plans all geared towards the fostering and the development of the relationship between the Association and the public.
3. He/she serves as the mouth peace of the Association.
4. He/she shall/will be in charge of all publication materials of the Association
5. The PRO shall over see and coordinate all media programs that the Association may involve in.
6. He/she shall organize radio, sensitization campaigns, encourage and foster mutual understanding among youths, NGO’s on the activities and plans of the Association.
7. He/she shall organize marketing plans and strategies there implementation in consultation with the chair person and the Executive body.
8. The PRO is the head of the area representatives and shall direct and assigned them as planned by him/her and the Executive body.
Article 6c of (K) THE AREA REPRESENTATIVES
1. The Area representatives shall work hand in hand with the PRO.
2. He/she shall serve as the link between the PRO, the Executive Body and the members within their areas.
3. At the request of the Executive Body, the Area representatives shall do duties as may be assigned to them by the PRO.
4. They receive, collect and deliver messages and information from their areas to Executive Body vice verse.
Article 7 THE GENERAL BODY
1. The general body is the highest organ of the Association.
2. It has the mandate and responsibilities of electing and replacing any member of the Executive who is not capable of performing his/her duties effectively.
3. The general body shall confirm the minutes of the previous meeting
4. The position and recruitment of any member is guaranteed by the General Body.
5. The quorum of the general body shall two third of the majority.
6. The general body has the mandate to amend any position or clause/clauses of the constitution.
Article 8 WORKING COMMITTEE MEMBERS
The Basse Youths Association shall have the following organs;
A. THE FINANCE COMMITTEE.
B. SPORT COMMITTEE
C. FUN RAISING COMMITTEE
D. THE ADVISORY COMMITTEE.
E. THE WOMEN’S WING
A. The finance Committee: The finance committee shall comprise of the Treasurer, the auditor and two trustees. It shall be responsible for monitoring the finances of the Association. The Association shall have a bank account to keep all the moneys belonging to the Association. Bills and recits shall be attested, recorded and filed by the treasurer. Deposits/withdrawals shall be signed by the treasurer and the two trustees from the general body of the Association.
B. The sport committee: The sport committee shall be responsible for all sporting activities in the town and shall report to the Executive body on developments and shortages they might face. They shall organize, promote and develop youths in the differently sporting games they will/shall organize.
C. The Fun Raising Committee: The fun raising committee shall be responsible for organizing fun raising activities for income generating for the Association. It is composed of the treasurer, the social secretary, the auditor and any other members as may be required by the Association.
D. The Advisory committee: The Advisory Committee shall give advice to the Executive and the General body on issues of concern of the association. It shall compose of specialists and responsible elders of the town.
E. The Women’s Wing: The Women’s Wing shall be charged with the responsibility of sensitizing their fellow women and girls so as to increase their number. It will also be responsible for writing proposals so as to advocate for gender equity and equality. Furthermore it will have the mandate to support, promote and uphold the rights of children and girls. It will furthermore protect women and children particularly the girls from all forms of sexual abuse and harassment.
Article 9 ELECTIONS
Elections shall/will be held every twenty-four (24) months for the replacement and or reelection of the Executive members of the Association. At the end of the two (2) years, an interim committee shall/will be selected to carry out the day to day activities of the association and conduct elections within fourteen (14) days.
Article 10 AMMENDMENT
The general body has the prerogative to amend any clause/clauses of the constitution when deemed necessary. Any amendment shall be incorporated in to the constitution upon the approval of the two- thirds majority of the members of the association,
Article 11; DISSOLUTION OF THE ASSOCIATION
In case of any need for the dissolution of the Youths Association of Basse, its assets and other properties shall be distributed among sister organizations with similar objectives otherwise it shall be handed over to the NGO Affairs Agency for appropriate action.
NAMES OF THE EXECUTIVE MEMBERS OF THE BASSE YOUTH ASSOCIATION
NAME OF EXECUTIVE MEMBERS
Momodou S Kamara
Kaddijatou I Jallow
Mamadou K Bah
Alhagi Sorry Jallow
Ousainou M Jallow
Finance Committee Chairman
Women’s Wing Chairperson
Mamadou S Jallow
Public Relations Officer
Sports Committee Chairman
Within this 2nd day of June 2009 at Basse Santosu in the Upper River Region.